Friday, November 17, 2017

Confined Masonry Chronicles v2.0

This post might have been more appropriate for my old Confined Masonry Chronicles blog...

The structural engineering association here in Nepal [NSET] began an initiative in January to introduce confined masonry construction into the country as an alternative to the concrete frame and unreinforced masonry building construction that is vulnerable to damage in earthquakes but is nevertheless very popular here in Nepal. Since I have been involved in a global confined masonry initiative and had just finished my 2 month assignment in Nepal, I was asked by NSET to participate as an "international consultant" along with 4 others who are much more experts in the field than I am.

When I came to Nepal this time I had some idea that I would be providing consulting for the initiative work group that is working on the design guidelines. At the time though I thought that was all I was going to do. That all changed within 24 hours of my arrival, when the chair of the initiative committee came to the office and asked me if I would give a presentation on confined masonry at a symposium that they were quickly setting up. After he told me that they were having the symposium to take advantage of the fact that I was in Nepal, I couldn't say no. I also couldn't say no because the chair is a very nice person and is very well respected within the Nepali engineering community. Plus he has a very soft voice and always refers to me as Doctor. I haven't had the courage to tell him that I don't have a PhD...

So this coming Tuesday I will be the guest lecturer/keynote speaker on a symposium on confined masonry, presenting to between 60 and 100 Nepali engineers, engineering professors, government officials, and engineering students. I've given presentations on this topic before but have to admit that I'm feeling some pressure to deliver this time, since they seem to think that I'm an expert on confined masonry construction [with a PhD and everything] and have planned this event around me...

Confined masonry construction in Indonesia

Confined masonry construction in Haiti. I took both photos so now I'm an international expert...
I would describe in detail what confined masonry is but most of you reading this probably would be bored and/or confused within 2 sentences. You'll just have to attend the symposium...

No comments:

Post a Comment