Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Starting with some new FAQs...


I’ll start this blog with an updated version of the FAQ that I posted on my Facebook page:

1) So, are you going back to Nepal?
Yes, I am returning to Nepal. I left on October 19 and will be returning on December 22.

2) Two months? That’s a long time…
Yes, it is, but that was the minimum time commitment that I was asked to make. It’s also hard to really get into the work that needs to be done there in only a couple of weeks.

3) Can you survive in Nepal for 2 months?
I did pretty well when I was there for 2 weeks last year. So I see this as four 2 week trips. I did survive 3 weeks in Haiti a few years ago. I figure if I can survive 3 weeks in Haiti I can survive 8 weeks in Nepal.

4) How will you eat?
I’m still not sure how, but I know I will. I do know I will likely not have a steak or hamburger for 2 months. Then again, I did find a way to drink beer in Muslim Indonesia, so perhaps I might be able to find a way to eat beef in Hindu Nepal. I am bringing a suitcase full of beef ramen noodles and beef jerky.

5) What are you doing in Nepal?
In Nepal I will be working for Build Change, reviewing designs for new buildings and the seismic retrofit of existing buildings, developing guidelines for seismic resistant stone masonry construction (to the extent that is possible), training engineers and inspectors in Nepal on seismic resistant construction, assessing the condition of existing buildings, putting together an ATC-20-like class on post-earthquake evaluations for all of Build Change's engineers in the 5 countries that they work in, and probably a few other things that I'll find out about when I get there.

6) Who is Build Change?
An NGO that works in developing countries helping people build more earthquake and typhoon resistant homes and schools. It’s the same organization that I travelled to Nepal to work for last year. This will be my 6th trip for them. I previously traveled to Indonesia, Colombia, and Haiti for Build Change and I’ve worked on Build Change projects in those countries plus China, The Philippines, and Guatemala. They can’t get rid of me no matter how hard they try. Build Change is a 501(c) 3 non-profit so donations are accepted and tax deductible.

7) Are you getting paid for this?
No, much to the dismay of my financial advisor I'm volunteering my time.

8) What's going to happen at LBNL while you're gone?
Hopefully not a major earthquake or landslide... but seriously, the short answer is that I will still be working 20 hours per week on LBNL projects while I'm in Nepal.

9) How did you convince your bosses at LBNL to let you go for so long?
I've been planning this trip for several months, working with Build Change and my supervisors and the HR folks at LBNL on all the details. Everyone has been very encouraging of this effort. It’s one of the things that I like about working at LBNL. It helped that I could wait until after the end of the federal fiscal year to make this trip and was willing to dedicate 20 hours of week while I’m gone to work on LBNL projects.

10) How did you convince your mom to let you go?
I haven’t, but I’m still going and Mom is still going to worry the entire time I’m there. I did promise her that I would be home for Christmas. Dad will worry too but he won’t admit it…

11) Will you have Internet access in Nepal?
Intermittently yes. The building that I'll be working in has Wi-Fi; I was there when they set it up last year. Nepal is a developing country though so there will still be frequent outages of Internet, electricity, or both, but hopefully it will be on more than off.

12) Will you be able to call into St. John’s Vestry meetings while you’re in Nepal?
It's a 12 hour, 45 minute time difference between Oakland and Nepal, so probably not.

13) Why 45 minutes?
I have no idea...

14) Will you be safe in Nepal?
I will be bringing my LBNL safety mentality there. I'll also have a hard hat. Besides, Nepal is not the most dangerous country I have ever been in. I do live in Oakland after all.

15) You’ll be missing the baseball playoffs, are you OK with that?
The Giants are out of the playoffs, so I don’t really care about that anymore.

16) You’ll be missing the election, are you OK with that?
I am more than OK with missing the circus show. I’ve already mailed in my ballot, so the rest is up to you. I only ask that you don’t riot if your candidate loses. I do want to come back to something resembling the USA…

17) Why are you doing this?
For my 30th birthday I went on a 6 week trip to Australia, New Zealand, and Hawaii. I spent my 40th birthday on a plane flight to Banda Aceh, Indonesia. This year was my 50th birthday and it’s become a tradition now to do a big trip on a 0 number year. Plus, as I said last year I can’t save the world sitting at my desk at LBNL or at home.

18) Are you nervous?
Oh yes. I have never been away from home or my work for this long and I will be literally on the other side of the world, but I feel like I just have to do this. These trips have become mission trips for me, helping those in need in the best way that I can.

19) Will you post pictures?
I hope to, yes. Depends on how buggy Blogger gets...

20) Ve con Dios!
Dhanyabad!

No comments:

Post a Comment