Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Where is Everybody?

Today was the last day of the Festival of Tihar, and in addition to one of my neighbors shooting off firecrackers that are scaring all of the dogs in the neighborhood right now, there is something else about today that I thought was rather odd. There was nobody on the streets today. Almost every business was closed and the streets were relatively empty, like Christmas morning or during the Super Bowl back home...

Hmm, where is everybody?

Normally I'm nervous crossing this intersection on foot because of the crazy, uncontrolled traffic; but today, not a problem.
I understand that on the last day of Tihar families get together, so I figured most businesses would be closed. However, I didn't expect to see a ghost town. I think the entire country took the day off. It was kind of eerie...

This did complicate my meals today, since the restaurants were all closed too. The only place that was open was a coffee shop nearby that is owned and run by an American expat. I learned this because only he and his American wife were working today. There were no Nepalis either working there or dining there. It was all expats with nowhere else to go like me. I could have just as easily been in Berkeley instead of Latitpur except that I paid in Rupees instead of Dollars.

I guess it shows just how important family is to most Nepalis. Then again, I do wonder how everybody got to grandma's house because it doesn't look like anyone drove...

The coffee was good though...

Double latte, Nepali style




No comments:

Post a Comment